Designer of Learning Environments - NOW HIRING
Position Summary: Gyroscope, Inc. is an award winning museum development firm offering comprehensive services in planning, architecture, and design. We are seeking a creative and collaborative designer to work as part of our team in Oakland, CA to develop and design innovative projects that redefine learning and education.
About Gyroscope: Gyroscope is a group of design thinkers. Our mission is to design learning environments that provide value for children, families, and communities. Using our knowledge and skills as architects, builders, educators, artists, graphic and exhibit designers, we apply a holistic approach to learning that delivers high impact results to our clients. We create learning experiences over a broad range of environments that include science centers, children’s museums, learning gardens, sustainable schools, libraries, and hybrid museums. As a design studio, we provide an opportunity for unlimited creative growth with the challenge and responsibility to transform vision into reality.
Specifics for the position:
Ideal candidate will have the following:
- Investigate, develop, and design new models for learning environments
- Collaborate with team consultants, engineers, evaluators, researchers, clients, and other stakeholders.
- Plan, manage, and complete project tasks from inspirational concepts through construction documents
- Think and work in a wide variety of disciplines, including education, architecture, multimedia, graphics, and exhibits
- Communicate ideas verbally and in writing; develop sketches, drawings, renderings, models, and prototypes as required for project phases
- Research and integrate formal and informal learning practices, new materials, technologies, and building methods into design ideas
- Contribute to the development and growth of a multidisciplinary design studio
Compensation: Commensurate with experience
- A deep passion and commitment to design that promotes successful learning behaviors
- A strong desire to create new education models and implement new concepts for learning
- Ability to think with your hands; a proven experience in designing and building things. This includes knowledge of the design process, ergonomics, Universal Design, user interface, materials, construction skills, and building techniques
- Experience working in the field(s) of architecture, landscape design, exhibit design, and education; licensed architect in California is preferred
- Minimum five years experience in designing and building learning experiences from concept phase through construction
- Excellent organizational skills and a strong ability to plan, execute, and manage a project with an eye on schedule and budget
- Fluent in sketching, drawing, and rendering by hand
- Proven ability in the use of computer-based tools: Vectorworks and Renderworks, FormZ, SketchUp, Photoshop, InDesign, Word, and Excel
- A desire to grow and to develop skills and knowledge as an integrated part of the process
Application Procedure: Please send a resume, portfolio, and letter to Steve@gyroscopeinc.com by October 26, 2012.